2013: Live and On-Demand Webinars
Available On-Demand: May 24, 2013
- Identify areas to create sterile products preparation efficiencies
- Ways to improve sterile products processes using a workflow management tool
- Describe ways to decrease sterile products processing errors through standardized workflow
Available On-Demand: August 23, 2013
- Describe 3 cases each of reported issues with compounded sterile products from outsourced providers and from in-house hospital pharmacies.
- Describe how outsourced compounded sterile products compare in terms of safety to manufacturer-prepared sterile products, in-house prepared compounded sterile products, and point-of-care prepared compounded sterile products.
- List the 5 key elements when making a decision to prepare compounded sterile products in-hours vs. using an outsourced contracted provider.
- List the TJC requirements that apply to an outsourced compounded sterile products provider and managing their services.
- List the six key components of selecting an outsourced vendor, and the considerations that need to be included for each.
2012: On-Demand Webinars
Available On-Demand: May 24, 2012
- List common problems with transitions of care
- Explain the potential reimbursement penalties for excess readmission rates
- Describe potential roles for the pharmacist in improving a patient's transition of care
Available On-Demand: August 15, 2012
- Enhance the IV room productivity and reduce IV waste while improving medication delivery to the nursing units
- Demonstrate strategies resulting in the significant decrease in medication requests
- Identify changes in the IV Drug Delivery preparation and delivery process that resulted in a IV drug cost savings
Available On-Demand: September 18, 2012
- Define the current barriers to successful transitions of care
- Describe the role of the pharmacist in various transitions of care models
- Discuss the impact of transitions of care programs on medication safety and hospital readmission rates
- Identify best practices for transitions of care that could be implemented at your institution
Available On-Demand: November 30, 2012
- Identify system-based causes of medication errors associated with preparation of compounding sterile preparations (CSPs) in the acute care setting
- Identify storage, workflow, labeling, quality control, and documentation best practices that should be standardized and incorporated into the manual preparation of all CSPs
- Discuss current technologies and describe how each can be used to reduce the risk of error in the preparation of CSPs
- Learn how to participate in further development and finalizing of these best practice guidelines
2011: On-Demand Webinars
Available On-Demand: April 25, 2011
- Describe potential applications for Lean in healthcare
- Define Lean and identify the 5 key Lean principles
- Explain the initial steps in starting a Lean project
Available On-Demand: April 27, 2011
- Outline the critical components of a Lean process improvement project
- Describe the components to consider when conducting a gap analysis
- Identify strategies for deploying sustainable solutions
Available On-Demand: May 13, 2011
- Review key concepts of Lean methodology
- Review IV room waste project at St. Rita's Medical Center and how Lean concepts were applied
Available On-Demand: June 01, 2011
- Explain the concept of Lean "tools"
- Define 5S (Sort, Simplify, Shine, Standardize, Sustain), one-piece flow, and error proofing
- Discuss strategies for successfully integrating Lean tools into a project
Available On-Demand: August 10, 2011
- Describe the steps required in the assessment phase. List the desired outcomes resulting from the steps taken in the assessment phase.
- Identify the steps required in the planning phase. List the desired outcomes resulting from the steps taken in the planning phase.
- Discuss the workshop agenda.
- Explain the focus in the follow-up phase.
Available On-Demand: August 31, 2011
- Describe several Lean tools and analyze their application within your own institution.
- Develop an action plan for the utilization of Lean process
improvement to increase customer value, reduce waste and improve
- Develop an action plan to redistribute essential work and increase the level of patient care.
2010: On-Demand Webinars
Available On-Demand: March 04, 2010
- Describe the goals of ASHP's IV Safety Summit.
- List the IV medications that most commonly cause harm according to data in one proprietary error reporting system.
- Identify at least one major theme common to the safety practices recommended by Summit attendees.
Available On-Demand: May 24, 2010
- Discuss the data submitted by hospitals completing the ISMP Medication Safety Self Assessment for Antithrombotic Therapy in Hospitals.
- Assess responses to individual characteristics or statements within the 8 key areas of focus in the self assessment.
- Discuss ISMP observed safety issues around antithrombotic therapy.
Available On-Demand: May 26, 2010
- Identify tools that you can use to communicate the value of pharmacy services to Senior Administration
- Describe the importance of knowing and understanding the data that your boss is using to determine if you are doing your job
- Describe principles of managing your boss and helping them to be successful
- Explain ten key expectations senior health-system leaders have of pharmacy services and leaders
Available On-Demand: August 16, 2010
- Develop a successful business proposal to justify a new clinical
program, service or personnel
- Describe how to create a ProForma to show a positive 5 year rate of
- Compare and contrast hard vs. soft dollar savings
- Describe the key elements of a good Executive Summary for a
Available On-Demand: September 08, 2010
- Define and describe a process for engaging staff as a retention tool.
- Identify at least three coaching methods to develop staff.
- Describe the keys to selecting the best new talent.
Available On-Demand: October 25, 2010
- Describe the components for safe use of automated dispensing machines (ADMs) as set forth by ISMP
- Review ASHP guidelines for drug distribution in the hospital
- Identify strategies to avoid confusion of look-alike sound-alike drugs on the nursing units (bar codes, tall man lettering)
Available On-Demand: October 25, 2010
- Describe strategies to reduce waste.
- Identify opportunities to enhance pharmacy workflow.
- Understand the applicability of process improvement techniques to inpatient pharmacy focusing on Lean methodology.
2009: On-Demand Webinars
Available On-Demand: July 28, 2009
- Provide a
brief overview of regulations surrounding pharmaceutical waste.
the benefits of a comprehensive waste disposal plan.
- Differentiate between the different
categories of pharmaceutical waste (i.e. U-listed and P-listed) and the
implications for proper disposal of each category.
- Define corresponding waste streams for
- Provide 4 methodologies for developing
a process for managing pharmaceutical waste at your institution.
Available On-Demand: October 15, 2009
- Provide background information on the C-Suite
- Discuss ways to prepare for a C-Suite presentation
- Provide some helpful tips for presentations
Available On-Demand: October 26, 2009
The 2nd Consensus Conference on the Safety of Intravenous Drug Delivery was recently convened to reassess and prioritize the safety of available IV drug delivery systems. The proceedings from this conference were published in early 2009 in the American Journal of Health System Pharmacy. This program will review the key issues discussed at the conference and discuss the implications for pharmacists and pharmacy leaders. Specifically, the objectives are:
- To review changes in the current IV delivery market that affect day-to-day practice and patient safety.
- To briefly review the conference format and attendees.
- To highlight the proceedings of the conference and the recommendations from the expert panel.
- To discuss the resulting decision matrix and its application to day to day pharmacy practice.
Available On-Demand: November 03, 2009
- Define and describe changing expectations for pharmacy services from the C-Suite.
- Describe the current priorities for the C-Suite in order to understand them as an audience.
- Anticipate questions that may arise when presenting to the C-Suite.
- Begin to develop a presentation for the C-Suite by learning from the examples presented.